Drowning is PREVENTABLE!
Drowning Prevention: ABC's of Pool Safety
It's hot Eastvale and it's only going to get hotter this summer season! This calls for more summer time fun at the beaches and in the pools. But are you prepared for accidents that may occur? In 2016 there were 2 fatal child drownings, 7 fatal adult drownings, and 24 non-fatal near drownings. Be aware of the basic ABC's of Pool Safety to prevent drowning accidents from happening.
A - Adult Supervision: Assign a "Water Watcher"
- Designate an adult (who can swim) to watch over children that are in and around pool and/or spa areas
- NEVER leave children in and/or around a pool unattended
- Flotation devices are not to be relied on
B - Barriers
- Install and maintain proper fencing around the pool to isolate your swimming area
- Use different types of protections for your pool such as safety covers, gate alarms, and door alarms
- Make sure all gates are self-closing and self-latching
C - Classes ("CPR")
- Learn CPR, first aid, and rescue techniques
- Take qualified instruction classes on how to swim
- Keep rescue equipment such as a shepherd's hook, life-saving ring, and CPR instructions mounted by the pool
- Know and understand the proper behavior in and around the water
For immediate emergencies, dial 9-1-1.
For more information about the ABC's of Pool Safety, please click here.