High Wind Warning
Post Date:04/26/2017 4:18 PM
Return to full list >>
Be advised of a high wind warning effecting western Riverside County 4/28-4/29
Below is a weather summary from our partners at the National Weather Service regarding a high wind warning that may effect the City of Eastvale and surrounding communities.
Changes Since Last Briefing:
- Strong west to northwest winds are possible in the northern half of Orange County and, locally into southwest portions of the Inland Empire this evening through the late night hours.
- Another round of strong west to northwest winds possible in Orange County and also western portions of the Inland Empire Thursday afternoon (4/27) and early evening.
- Outlook section added for the possibility of strong Santa Ana winds Friday night (4/28) into Saturday (4/29).
Low pressure over the Great Basin and an upper level ridge of high pressure over the eastern Pacific will generate strong northwesterly winds across the mountains and deserts this afternoon into late tonight, including the northern half of Orange County and southwest portions of the Inland Empire. More strong winds possible in Orange County and the Inland Empire Thursday afternoon and early evening.
Weather Threats and Impacts:
- Areas of blowing dust and sand, reducing visibility for motorists in the deserts.
- Sudden and strong cross-winds and debris on roadways making travel hazardous in some areas.
- Minor wind damage possible to trees, power lines, and signage.
- Hazardous conditions for small craft over the coastal waters due to strong winds and large combined seas.
Forecast winds this afternoon through late tonight:
- Wind Favored Mountain ridges, Desert slopes, & Deserts: Sustained west to northwest winds of 25-35 mph with gusts to 60 mph and locally 65 mph, with highest winds in wind prone areas such as the San Gorgonio Pass.
- Other desert areas (lower Coachella Valley, including Indio): Sustained northwest winds 15-20 mph with gusts 30 to 35 mph.
- Northern half of Orange County and southwest portions of the Inland Empire: Sustained west to northwest winds 15-25 mph with gusts to 40 mph.
Forecast winds Thursday afternoon and evening:
- Orange county and western portions of the Inland Empire: Sustained west to northwest winds 15-25 mph with gusts to 40 mph.
- Confidence is increasing in a strong Santa Ana wind event Friday night (4/28) through Saturday (4/29), with the potential for damaging wind gusts of 60 mph or greater. Stay tuned!